Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Basketball Goals for Halloween


Back in the old days, the 60's, Halloween was a time of great fun and excitement. The night would bring swarms of kids to the streets running from house to house in an effort to collect as much candy treasure as they could carry. In those days, the days of giving out full size candy bars, it seemed that times were better.

What does this have to do with basketball goals? Nothing, except that kids of all ages also enjoy a game of basketball almost as much as they do candy, at least I did when I was a kid :-). I was often envious of other kids who had a basketball goal in their driveway. I wished that one day I too would be able to shoot hoops in the comfort of my own driveway.

That day did come in the fall of 1972 when I came home from school one day. Several neighbors had gotten together to buy and set up a brand new basketball goal in my families driveway. Why neighbors? My dad was an alcoholic and he was incapable of running his own life let alone securing a basketball goal for his kids. Anyway, that day was Halloween, and despite the usual excitement of the candy hunt, I was busy, busy with my new basketball goal! I was so happy that I played into the night just watching as kids rang the door bell on our house and screaming "trick or treat".It was the best Halloween ever, the Halloween that I got my first basketball goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment